Applying for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
There are three options for applying for SSDI benefits.
- Apply online through the Social Security Administration website at www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/
- Call Social Security at 800-772-1213 to set up an appointment to apply in person; or
- Walk into your local Social Security field office and apply in person without an appointment. Find your local field office by visiting https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp
Applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Currently most claimants applying for SSI are not able to do so online. You must visit your local field office and apply in person. You are eligible to apply for SSI benefits online if you meet the following requirements:
- Are between the ages of 18 and 65;
- Have never been married;
- Aren’t blind;
- Are a U.S. citizen residing in one of the fifty states, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands;
- Haven’t applied for or received SSI benefits in the past; and
- Are applying for Social Security Disability Insurance at the same time as your SSI claim.